Ahhhh, first day for Fall semester…. It was lovely, nerv-y and fun. Being off campus last semester due to the surgery really had me looking forward to this semester on campus.
I'm taking Sociology of the Body, Communications 114 (Speech), Statistics 113 and Abnormal Psychology (online).
I'm officially giving myself 2 weeks to get in the hang of things with school and everything else I do on a daily basis.
Classes went well, other than finding out my arch-nemesis is in 2 out of my 4 classes. I really do not want to put up with listening to him yammer on for 2 hours 2 days a week, but I realized that I still had the power to tune him out, so rock on to me!
I'm really looking forward to delving into my Sociology of the Body class and the Abnormal Psychology.
Speech still has me nerv-y… I hate talking in front of people…. I can talk to a small group of people fine and I can talk passionately about a subject like bullying with no problem… but I dread regular public speaking.
We were given our first assignment in speech class today which is a coat of arms done by pictures on a poster board. My name being first alphabetically means I'm the lucky one that goes first. Aaarrgghhhh!!
Still though I'll be fighting those nerves, I'll be glad to get it over with and I really like this Coat of Arms speech.
Here are the questions, I have to pull images for and talk about:
- What is something at which you excel? (I tried jotting notes of ideas, had a hard time with this one, came up with multi-tasking tentatively)
- What is something yourself that you are working to improve? (stubbornness? The art of public speaking? ßhardy har)
- What is one value, a deep commitment, from which you would never budge? (Family, acceptance and kindness came to mind)
- What is the material possession most significant to you? (Gma Jo's journals all the way)
- What is your greatest achievement of the past year? (ABC, of course)
- What is your biggest setback of the past year? (Surgery is what I put tentatively, but that wasn't that big of a setback, I still was in college, I was back to work within 2 weeks… must think more on this one).
- What would you do if you had one year to live and were guaranteed of success in whatever you attempted? (jotted that I would work solely as an advocate to end bullying… of course upon thinking it more, I would want to spend every moment with my family)
- What three words would you most like to have said about you if you died today? (jotted advocate, mommy, loved and kind… okay that's 4 words and I'll probably tweak those)
I love this idea of introducing yourself as a coat of arms. Fabulous… though I'm sure I'll be sweating it day of and before…. Plan on working on the poster this weekend, have Blythe help me since John and Grace will be at their dad's.
I'll check back in with news of how the speech went… if I remember.